Tanzania Library Association (TLA) is a non-profit corporation formed to encourage and promote the welfare of libraries and professional interests of librarians in Tanzania. The Mission of Tanzania Library Association (TLA) is to provide leadership for the development, advocacy, and improvement of library and information services and to promote the profession of librarianship, in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all. Want to help Tanzania Library Association (TLA)? Consider making a donation.
TLA have the following functions;
- To play an advisory role to the Government and private organizations in matters affecting quality in establishing and managing libraries and information services
- To organize meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences and run courses so as to impart new knowledge and skills.
- To collect, collate and publishing Journals, bulletins, newsletters, etc to inform members and promote the objectives of the association.
- To compile, keep and regularly update information pertaining to each member.
- To collaborate with national and international associations and institutions interested in the development of libraries and the information industry.
- To devise means to raise funds either through fees, subscription, soliciting grants and donation or economic ventures.
- To determine, from time to time, the annual fees or any special levies payable by its members and the date of payment of such levies;
- to utilize, invest and dispose of its funds in such a manner as may from time to time be decided upon by the AGM;
- To acquire, hire, let, hold or dispose of property and equipment, borrow money against security of the Association's assets including mortgage bonds on fixed property and accept and administer any trust or donation;
- to undertake, subsidise or otherwise support the publication of journals, newspapers and other publications;
- To appoint such personnel and auditors as may be necessary;
- To make provision for medical aid schemes, provident/pension funds and other benefits for its personnel;
- To negotiate for group schemes and other benefits for its members which the Association may deem necessary or desirable from time to time;
- To perform and/or do anything lawful of interest to members and the association.
- To develop, maintain and enforce a code of conduct for its members